Position Type: Part-time six month contract, with the possibility for renewal
Positions available: 2
Maggie’s is an organization run for and by sex workers. Our mission is to assist sex workers in our efforts to live and work with safety and dignity. We are founded on the belief that in order to improve our circumstances, sex workers must control our own lives and destinies.
This position involves providing outreach and education to street-based sex workers in the city of Toronto and some surrounding areas.
• Must be committed to working a manner that is respectful of race, culture, class, gender, immigration status, ability, sexual identity (orientation)
• Familiarity with different sex working communities in Toronto.
• Sex work experience required (street sex work experience preferred)
• Ability to manage time effectively
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Ability to work working independently and with other staff
• Must be self directed and have the ability to initiate and implement project activities
• Working knowledge of drop-ins, shelters and strolls as well as programs and services that sex workers access
• Must be committed to harm reduction principles and comfortable working with active drug users and safer drug use materials (e.g.; crack stems, cookers, fits)
• Basic knowledge of HIV/AIDS and sexual health issues
• Ability to learn new information and effectively share it with sex workers 1-on-1 or in small group settings
• Must be comfortable speaking openly about sex and sexuality
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Plan and schedule outreach routes and locations
• Connect with sex workers on the street, in drop-ins, shelters and other locations
• Distribute harm reduction and safer sex materials and information
• Design and deliver sex-work related training to street based sex workers in an accessible and creative manner
• Keep accurate records of contacts and activities
• Create and maintain referral lists
• Conduct outreach with the Sherbourne Sex Worker Health Bus
• Some flexibility in scheduling to accommodate early morning, day and nighttime work
• Other duties as required
The Outreach Worker will work with and take direction from the Administrative Coordinator.
Hours: 8/per week
Applicants must have current or former sex work experience. Individuals with other sex work experience are also strongly encouraged to apply
Please submit your resume to email@example.com in confidence detailing all relevant experience that you will bring to the position.
Submission deadline: February 20th, 2009 5pm EST
Aboriginal, Trans, 2-Spirited people and members of other equity seeking groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
***Maggie’s is a scent free environment***